2021 Unknown fact about Olabisi Onabanjo University (OOU)
Olabisi Onabanjo University, Ago-Iwoye is a state (owned and operated) university in Ago-Iwoye, Ogun State, Nigeria. The university was founded July 7, 1982 as Ogun State University (OSU) and was renamed Olabisi Onabanjo University on May 29, 2001 in honour of Chief (Dr.) Olabisi Onabanjo, whose efforts as the then civilian governor of Ogun State gave birth to the university. Meanwhile, many students still refer to the institution as OSU, an acronym for the former name.
The university has a large student body and it is decently or relatively diverse in their of religious background. Admission into this university is very competitive and the university offers bachelors and masters degree programs across sciences, social science, education, law, engineering and medicine.
Faculties and Department in OOU
The university has ten faculties including total number of fifty-six departments which are spread across its campuses in the state. They include
Faculty of Science
- Department of Chemical Sciences
- Department mathematical sciences
- Department of Microbiology
- Department of Plant Science and Applied Zoology
- Department of Physics
- Department of Earth Sciences
Faculty of Education
- Department of Educational Foundations and Counselling
- Department of Educational Management and Business Studies
- Department of Human Kinetics and Health Education
- Department of Science and Technology Education
- Department of Arts and Social Sciences Education
Faculty of Law
- Department of Commercial Law
- Department of International Jurisprudence
- Department of Private Law
- Department of Public Law
Faculty of Art
- Department of English and Performing Arts
- Department of Religious Studies
- Department of History and Diplomatic Studies
- Department of Nigerian and Foreign Languages
- Department of Philosophy
Faculty of Social Sciences
- Department of Mass communication
- Department of Psychology
- Department of Economics
- Department of Geography and Regional Planning
- Department of Political Sciences
- Department of Banking and Finance
Faculty of Basic Medical Sciences
- Department of Haematology and Blood Transfusion
- Department of Chemical Pathology
- Department of Medical Microbiology and Parasitology
- Department of Morbid Anatomy Histopathology
- Department of Physiology
- Department of Anatomy
- Department of Biochemistry
- Department of Pharmacology
Faculty of Clinical Sciences
- Department of Community Medicine and Primary Care
- Department of Medicine
- Department of Anaesthesia
- Department of Surgery
- Department of Radiology
- Department of Paediatrics
- Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology
Faculty of Pharmacy
- Department of Pharmacy/Biopharmacy
- Department of Pharmaceutics/Pharmaceutical Technology
- Department of Pharmaceutical Medicinal Chemistry
- Department of Pharmaceutical Microbiology
Faculty of Engineering and Environmental Sciences
- Department of Computer Engineering
- Department of Mechanical Engineering
- Department of Electrical/Electronics Engineering
- Department of Agricultural Engineering
- Department of Civil Engineering
- Department of Fine and Applied Arts
- Department of Urban and Regional Planning
- Department of Architecture
Faculty of Agricultural Sciences
- Department of Crop Production
- Department of Animal Production
- Department of Home and Hotel Management
- Department of Cooperative and Business management
- Department of Agricultural Economics
- Department of Agricultural extension
|Prince DR Dapo Abiodun||Visitor|
|Mrs. Mosun Belo-Olusoga||Pro-Chancellor|
|Prof. Ganiyu Olatunji Olatunde||Vice Chancellor|
Important: please contact or visit the official website of Olabisi Onabanjo University for detailed information on areas of study and degree levels currently offered.
Facilities And Resources At Olabisi Onabanjo University
Facilities at OOU include administrative buildings, lecture halls, halls of residence, staff quarters, faculty buildings, a teaching hospital, an online learning management system, an open courseware portal, a library, Open Educational Resource which provides an online journal system, and lots more.
Admission Requirements At Olabisi Onabanjo University
Requirements for Undergraduates:
Requirements for entry-level admission into Olabisi Onabanjo University are fairly strict and vary depending on the course. Successful applicants would have to go through the rigors of verification both at the Academic office and the faculty of choice. Thinking of having an academic future at OOU? Here are a few admission requirements:
-You are required to have a minimum of credit passes in 5 subjects at the SSCE/GCE O’Level/NECO or its equivalent at not more than two sittings. The subjects that you are required to pass must include English Language, Mathematics and other subjects relevant to your proposed course of study. It’s advisable that you frequently visit the university’s website to know the exact subject combinations.
-You must register the University as your institution of choice in JAMB, register the right subject combination, sit for the examination, and attain the prescribed cut-off mark for your desired course.
-Prepare yourself for a Post-UTME examination. Admission into OOU is heavily dependent on attaining the desired cut-off mark in Post-UTME, whether an indigene or not.
If successfully admitted, bear in mind that you would be requested to pay to pay an acceptance fee decided by the school, undergo a registration process which also has its own requirements such: verification form, acceptance fee receipt, Post-UTME result slip, JAMB result slip, e.t.c.
According to information disseminated by the school, application forms for the 2017/2018 session are currently closed as the school resumed for the 2017/2018 academic session on 3rd October 2017, to vacate on the 30th September 2017.
Interestingly, OOU has named its two semesters; Harmattan and Rain semesters.
More details on Olabisi Onabanjo University’s admission process, admission requirements, admission lists, school fees, students news and other information can be found at portal.oouagoiwoye.edu.ng.
Do you wish to become an international student next year?
Demonstrate your English skills with IELTS. Start practicing IELTS today!
Requirements for Postgraduates:
Olabisi Onabanjo also has a School of Postgraduate Studies which offer accredited programmes in the faculties listed above, leading to officially recognized higher-education degrees such as Postgraduate diploma, masters, and doctorate degrees. It’s important to note that OOU has made provisions for full-time and part-time programmes with varying durations. Part-time programmes extend longer by 2 semesters compared to full-time.
Admission into the PG programmes are also quite competitive and have their own specific and general requirements based on the degree and course of study. The general admission requirements include the following:
-All programmes in the University require O’level credit pass in English Language and Mathematics in addition to three other credits in relevant subjects.
-The University matriculation requirements of individual departments running the programme must be satisfied before a candidate can be considered for admission.
-For admission into any of the programmes, possession of National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) Discharge/Exemption Certificate is mandatory.
-All applicants are to request that their academic transcripts be forwarded to the Secretary, Postgraduate School, not later than the stipulated date.
-All Ph.D. candidates are required to contact the relevant departments for the availability of supervisors and vacancies before applying.
-Each applicant is required to submit photocopies of all certificates listed in the application form such as Degree/Diploma, NYSC and professional certificates at the relevant departments.
-Completed application forms and acknowledgments slips are to be submitted to the Secretary, Postgraduate School and also to the relevant department not later than the date announced.
Application for Postgraduate programmes at OOU for the 2017/2018 has officially closed. More details about the PG school, courses offered and degree requirements can be found at pgs.oouagoiwoye.edu.ng.
OOU was established in response to the reduced standard of education in the Ogun state and currently stands as one of the foremost institutions in the state.